Be ready to have your house smell like a bakery with these delightful little treats! Who doesn’t love a good cherry pie? And these are to die for. Perfectly buttery and flakey, and not to mention so EASY to make. You can make these ahead, and serve them at your next family get together.
Serve these warm with some vanilla bean ice cream on the side for a decadent dessert or with your morning coffee 😉 Yum!
Yields 8 Turnovers
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 large egg
For the filling*
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened frozen cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
For The Cherry Filling:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add cherries, granulated sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon and stir until it starts to bubble.
- Seperately mix the corn starch and water until corn starch is dissolved and add it to the cherry mixture.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
For the Turnovers:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry sheets to approximately 12 inch squares. Cut each sheet into four squares.
- Spoon ¼ cup of cherry pie filling onto a corner of each square, avoiding ½ an inch around the edges. Fold the opposite corner of each puff pastry over to cover filling. This will form a triangle.
- Press the edges with a fork to seal. Cut a small vent into the tops of each turnover (or prick with a fork).
- Transfer your turnovers to the pastry sheet by using a flat spatula that is floured for easy non-stick transfer.
- Transfer the sheets into the freezer for at least 20 minutes or cover and freeze overnight.
- When ready to bake-in a small bowl, add the egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Whisk together to create an egg wash. Brush the top and sides of each turnover with egg wash, including the sealed edges.
- Transfer turnovers to parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 19-22 minutes, or until turnovers are golden brown.
*Make sure your puff pastry sheets are thawed before using but still cold as this will yield a beautiful pastry.
*You can use a can of cherry pie filling in place of making the cherry filling!