This is one of my favorite recipes to have on hand. It’s luxurious, flavorful, and turns a simple dish into something decadent. I use this sauce to make Potato Au Gratin, Classic Chicken Alfredo, or my favorite Caprese Chicken Casserole! It’s SO GOOD!
- 1 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 minced clove garlic
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until bubbles begin to appear around the edge. Turn the heat off, and keep it warm
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter, and garlic over medium-low heat. Add the flour, and stir until the mixture is combined. Continue mixing for about 2 minutes to form a roux. Make sure the mixture does not turn brown.
- Add the hot milk to the flour mixture, and let it boil. Turn the heat to low, and stir frequently for 5 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately with pasta, or let the sauce sit and cool for 5 minutes or so, then store it in a mason jar in the fridge for 7-days.
Notes: You can also store it in the freezer for months, and defrost in the fridge a couple of days before using.