Hands up if you want the recipe for the easiest, coziest, summer dessert! Warm apples with a luscious caramel sauce on a bed of buttery flaky crust.
Top it off with some vanilla ice cream, or eat it warm. It’s sure to please any crowd!
Please note- If you prefer store bought pie dough- that works perfectly fine! However, I’d still bake the crust before putting the filling inside. This is not a traditional pie or tart recipe since the filling and crust are baked before the crumb topping but I promise it’s delicious!
Apple Crumble Tart
Yields 6 slices
For The Crust:
- 1 1/3 cup white all purpose flour
- 3/4-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter or 1/2 cup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons iced cold water
For The Filling:
- 2 apples cored and sliced into cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 stick of butter or 1/4 cup
- 1/4 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons half and half milk
For The Crumble:
- 3 tablespoons butter cubed
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
For the crust:
- Start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees F and making the crust.
- Mix the flour and salt together, then add the cold cubes of butter, and vegetable shortening and mix everything together with a pastry cutter or fork until you have pea sized pieces in the dough.
- Add the cold water and mix with your hands until you form a the dough. Add extra flour if the dough is too sticky or extra water if the dough is too stiff.
- Cut the dough into 2 equal pieces and save one half in a plastic bag in the freezer! You can use it for another time or use it to make empanadas 🙂
- Roll the dough into a circle and place it on a pie dish. Create tiny holes with a fork so the dough doesn’t bubble up too much.
- Bake the crust for 16 minutes- it should be golden in color.
For the filling:
- Grab a frying pan and melt the butter at medium high heat, add the apples and brown them up, add the cinnamon, sugar, salt, corn starch, and milk and mix everything together. The apples will soften up and the sauce will get nice and thick and caramel like.
- Turn off the heat, and pour the apple filling onto the prepared crust.
For the crumble topping:
- Mix all of the crumble ingredients together until it forms a crumbly dough. Then pour it on top of the tart.
- Bake the tart for 16 minutes or until the top is golden brown, and the crumble topping is cooked through.
- Allow the tart to cool 15 minutes, then slice and serve with vanilla ice cream! It stores well in the fridge for 5-6 days.