This is bread is just delicious. It has such a nice flavorful zing from the grapefruit but it isn’t bitter. It’s summer in one bite- a delightful summer that is!
The glaze is a must! It’s perfect on it’s own but the glaze kicks it up a notch. Give this one a go! My husband loves it so much he asked for more after the loaf was finished. Ha!
Grapefruit Poppy Seed Loaf
Yields 6 slices
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated grapefruit zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- juice of 1 1/2 grapefruit
For the glaze
- Juice of 1/2 grapefruit + zest (optional but extra yummy!)
- 1/2 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, and egg white one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt, poppy seeds, grapefruit zest and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Transfer to a small greased loaf pan. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix grapefruit juice and powdered sugar to make the glaze.
- Remove bread from oven. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle grapefruit glaze over bread and slice or chill in the refrigerator.
*Note: this bread can keep well in the fridge for 5-6 days. If you want a thicker glaze, you can add more powdered sugar, or extra juice or water to thin it out.
I hope you enjoy this lovely summer recipe!