These bars are one of a kind. Every bite is a cake, pie, and a bar all in one. It has three layers of textures and flavors that are sure to pair well with a cup of tea or coffee!
It almost reminds me of a Boston Cream Pie, but it doesn’t have a cream filling. Instead, it has a layer of saltine buttery crust, fluffy peanut butter cake, and a nice thick layer of chocolate ganache. YUM!
I hope you enjoy this delicious mountain munch recipe 🙂
Peanut Butter Cake Pie Bars
Yields 6 bar slices
For the saltine crust layer-
- 1/2 pack of saltine crackers (can use other crackers but I find these to be so delicious with the salty and sweet combo)
- 5 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
For the peanut butter cake layer-
- 1/4 cup slightly melted peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup pancake mix ( I used a buttermilk mix)
- 1/3 cup whole milk or half/half
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein (about 3 tablespoons)
For the chocolate ganache layer-
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 pack of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk + more as needed
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan with nonstick or butter, then line with parchment paper. I usually cut about two rectangles and lay them across each other. It doesn’t have to cover the entire pan just each side will do (this will help you pull it out at the end).
- Next, grind your saltine crackers and mix in with the melted butter and sugar. Once this is all combined, pack it down into the prepared loaf pan and set aside.
- Mix all of the cake ingredients together- the slightly melted peanut butter ( I place it in a microwave safe dish and heat about 15-20 seconds) then I add with the pancake mix, milk, protein, and slowly add in the egg. Mix until just combined then pour on top of the saltine crust.
- Bake for 21-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Let the cake/ crust cool at least 15 minutes.
- Make your chocolate ganache by melting chocolate chips with butter/oil, and milk under a double broiler or in the microwave until it melts. It may be slightly thick and that’s perfect! Place it in the fridge until you’re ready to pour it on top of the cake/crust. It’s okay if the cake is slightly warm as this will help spread the chocolate!
- Once ready, pour the ganache on top of the cake, spread around evenly, then place it in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours until the chocolate is pretty set (you can also place it in the freezer for 45 minutes).
- Run a knife along the edges of the entire cake and then pull out with the parchment paper and place on top of a cutting board.
- Cut the bars into six equal slices. Place it in an airtight container in the fridge, they keep well when they’re cold then voila!
**These store well in the refrigerated 4-5 days or in the freezer for about a month if it’s stored tightly with wrap**