Winter is upon us, and I’m spending extra time in the kitchen these days! I love baking a good cookie around the holidays. These cookies are so easy to make and best of all delicious. The texture is chewy and soft, and then you have a nice peppermint flavor to go with the decadent chocolaty-ness. Pair these with a tall glass of milk or your favorite hot cocoa!
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Yields 12-14 Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened // 1 stick equals 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp natural peppermint extract
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee* (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 candy cane (finely crushed)
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together for about 1-2 minutes. Add egg yolk, peppermint extract and beat until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as you go to ensure even mixing.
- Add flour, salt, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda and powder to a sifter and sift gradually over the wet ingredients mixing as you go. Mix until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir in with a mixing spoon.
- Form the dough into small balls (heaping 1 Tbsp) and place 1.5 inches apart on an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Press the tops down and then top with a few more chocolate chips.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes – the edges should start to dry but the tops will still be slightly soft looking. Let set on the cookie sheet for a few minutes more but sprinkle crushed candy cane on immediately.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to rest until completely cooled. Store in an airtight container to keep fresh for up to a few days or freeze for several weeks!