This has to be my new favorite apple pie recipe! The crust is a no fail flaky, melt in your mouth crust that is absolutely perfect in this recipe.
The filling is simple but delightful. I use a combination of apples to get the most flavor- tangy and sweet! There’s nothing better than a nice warm slice of apple pie with ice cream on top to welcome the autumn leaves, and the season of fall.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Yields 6-8 slices
For The Crust:
- 2 cups white all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4-1/2 cup iced cold water
For The Filling:
- 2 apples cored and sliced ( I used a combination of fuji and granny smith)
- 1/4 cup ground white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For The Caramel Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup ground white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- juice of 1 lemon+ zest
- 1/3 cup half and half (or milk)
Extras for Pie Assembly:
- 1 egg (for brushing)
For the crust:
- In a food processor or by hand with a pastry cutter, mix the flour, salt, and sugar together, vegetable shortening and pulse everything together until you have pea sized pieces throughout the dough.
- Add the ice cold water little by little, until you form a the dough.
- Cut the dough into 2 equal pieces and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll the first piece of dough into a circle and place the first one a pie dish. Create tiny holes with a fork so the dough doesn’t bubble up too much. Save the other half for the top.
For the filling:
- Mix the sliced apples with sugar, lemon juice, corn starch, cinnamon, and pour on top of the uncooked pie crust.
For the Caramel Sauce:
- In a sauce pan melt the butter, and add the sugar + lemon + zest and cook for about 5 minutes until it gets bubbly. Add the half/ half and keep mixing for 2 minutes or so. Turn off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
For the Pie Assembly:
- Pour the caramel sauce on top of the apple cinnamon filling, and top with the second rolled out pie dough. Crimp the edges to form a nice crust.
- Slit 3 slices on top of the pie, and brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake at a 375 degree preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Cool the pie, then slice into 6-8 equal slices. Serve warm with french vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!