This pizza crust is so divine! I’ve made this crust so many times for years, and it never gets old. It’s the perfect flavor, and has the perfect texture- crisp and chewy. It’s also super versatile, and you can even use it to make empanadas, pretzels, bread sticks, or even calzone’s! For a healthy twist you can make it with whole wheat flour or both whole wheat and all purpose flour. You can bake it as you would in a pizza oven or a traditional oven, and i’ve provided instructions on how to do so below. Also make sure to check out my delicious Pork Tenderloin Pizza recipe it’s my picky eater husband’s favorite! 🙂
Recipe: Yields 2 12-inch Pizzas
- 2 1/4 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Warm Water ( 100-110 Degrees F)
- 3 Cups (384 grams) Whole Wheat or All Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Preparing the dough:
- Start by activating your yeast. Mix 2 1/4 Teaspoons of Dry Active yeast (or 1 packet) with the sugar, then add in the water and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, ( I use my Kitchen Aid mixer with the hook attachment but you can use a bowl and knead with your hands) mix 2 cups of flour, salt, oil, and the warm yeast water and mix until a sticky dough forms, then slowly add in the 3rd cup of flour.
- Knead or mix just until it forms a dough. If the dough is too dry you can incorporate a little bit of warm water (it will be a sticky dough).
- In a medium bowl drizzle a little bit of oil and place the dough on top and cover it with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Let it rise for 2 hours.
- On a floured surface knead the dough 10 times until it springs back when you sink your finger into it.
- Place it back into the bowl for another 10 minutes or put it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- You can make two 12 inch pizzas or one 24 inch pizza! It also depends on the thickness you prefer.
- Take the dough out of the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to baking.
Baking The Pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 500 Degrees F and place your pizza pan ( I use a rectangle cookie sheet) in the oven (this allows the pan to get nice and hot for the ultimate crust!)
- On a silicone baking mat or parchment paper roll out your pizza dough and top it with your favorite toppings!
- Carefully open the oven ( it will be very hot so use oven mitts).
- Pull out the oven rack with the pizza pan and place the pizza on top (yes, the silicone mat or parchment paper will be under the pizza itself and on top of the pan while baking).
- Bake the pizza for about 8-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the crust.
- Carefully transfer the pizza onto a cutting board and slice it with a pizza cutter and enjoy!