These muffins are an absolute joy in the morning with a warm cup of coffee! The spices, and the apples go so well together. It’s almost like eating a soft bite of apple pie. I used granny smith apples here because of the delicious tart flavor but you can use any kind. My picky husband loves these for breakfast! I hope you love them as much as we do.
A couple of things to note before you start:
- Don’t over mix the batter
- Make your own buttermilk by mixing 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let it sit until it coagulates (about 5 minutes)
- You can absolutely substitute greek yogurt for sour cream
- It’s extremely important to have the butter SOFT at room temperature…it’s soft when it slightly springs back to the touch, and it’s nice and squishy
- Yes, you can also substitute whole wheat flour for the white flour ( although I have not tried)
- For the streusel- you can substitute the instant oatmeal packet for 3 tablespoons or 1/4 cup of rolled oats + 1 tablespoon cinnamon + 1 tablespoon sugar sugar to your liking
- Storage- i find that it’s always best to freeze freshly baked goods as it tends to dry out in the refrigerator. I let these cool completely and then store them in a gallon freezer bag with all the air out, and then defrost one at a time over night if I’m having it the next morning. You can also pop one into the oven to defrost about 10 minutes or so at 350′ F the morning of.
Yields 6 Large Muffins or 12 Small Muffins Ingredients: Base: Streusel Topping: Directions:
Apple Streusel Muffins
Yields 6 Large Muffins or 12 Small Muffins